Steps for Packing a Suitcase for Airline Travel
Write Out What You NeedThe very first thing I do whenever I want to travel is to write down everything I need. I write from the most obvious material to the smallest details. Most times when we travel, our luggage is filled with “I might need it” materials and they are not eventually useful in the long run. Therefore, the first rule of packing is writing down what you need, and then you arrange them according to their level of importance.
Arrange Your Clothes and ShoesPartition the space in your suitcase into two. The first part should be for shoes, iron and other hard substances. While the other part is for your clothes – shirts, pants, blazers, ties, and underwear. Firstly, make sure your socks are stuffed into your footwear to manage space. Then arrange the shoes together heel to toe at the space you created for the shoes. Preferably, you can put the shoes in a plastic bag before arranging in the bag to prevent dirt on your clothes. Secondly, fold or roll your pants and skirt to avoid wrinkles and lay it at the bottom of the ride on suitcase. Then you can fold your shirts and arrange it on the pant and skirt. Lastly, the space on the shoes can also be occupied by clothes, ties, and other materials.
Spread Books AroundIf you are traveling with books, files and writing materials, just arrange them in those empty crevices created as a result of the position of your shoes and clothes. You don’t need an extra bag for your books.
Pack Liquid and Toiletries SeparatelyLiquids, gels, medication, breast milk and perfumes that exceed a volume of 3.4 Oz should be packed in your checked luggage. Also, sports equipment and prohibited items like knife, scissors and your toiletries should be kept in your checked luggage for easy access. All liquids and prohibited items must be declared and inspected hence it will be more convenient to open your checked luggage or carryon bag than opening your suitcase.
Packing Tips for Air Travel
- If you think it won’t fit in your bag, wear it. That is if you think your shoe is too big for your bag and you need it in your destination, just wear it.
- You can use packing cubes when arranging your clothes. It helps create space and reduces clothe wrinkle.
- Always put materials you will access often at the top.
- Never put light material down and heavy material on it, to avoid crushing of the light material.
- Do not pack what you can buy
- Always wrap your toiletries in a plastic bag because it might leak